Maths at Corpus Christi Catholic Primary School
Mathematics equips pupils with the uniquely powerful set of tools to understand and change the world. These tools include logical reasoning, problem solving skills and the ability to think in abstract ways. Mathematics is important in everyday life. It is integral to all aspects of life and with this in mind we endeavour to ensure that children develop a positive and enthusiastic attitude towards mathematics that will stay with them.
The National Curriculum for Mathematics (2014) describes in detail what pupils must learn in each year group. Combined with our own Corpus Christi Calculation Policy ensures continuity, progression and high expectations for attainment in mathematics.
Maths is taught daily throughout the school and the teachers plan for opportunities to develop and apply key mathematical skills in other subjects throughout the year. In Year 6 the children are taught in Sets.
Principles of Teaching and Learning
Our school uses a variety of teaching and learning styles in mathematics during each lesson.
Our teachers strive to:
- build children’s confidence and self esteem.
- develop children’s independence.
- allow all children to experience regular success.
- contextualise mathematics.
- use practical approaches to mathematics (models and images).
- encourage children to select independently resources to help them.
- challenge children of all abilities.
- encourage children to enjoy mathematics.
- develop a child’s understanding of mathematical language.
- learn from teachers, peers and their own mistakes.
- allow children to ask questions as well as answer them.
Maths at Home
Each child has a username and password for the multiplications website that we use in school called Times Table Rock Stars (please inform your teacher if you need a replacement login and password card). Please encourage your child to regularly explore the website and play the games which will in turn improve the speed and accuracy of their multiplication tables.